Creating snack packs is a great way for groups of all sizes and ages to get involved and support families, and groups can participate anywhere as long as one participant is able to deliver snack packs to a House or Family Room.
The families we serve are often on the go between doctor appointments, hospital visits, and travel to and from the Houses. Snack packs provide an easy, grab-and-go option for families who don’t have time to sit down for a meal or need a bite between appointments so they can stay by their child’s side.
Here are a few items that are great for snack packs:
- Pudding or fruit cups
- Granola bars
- Mini water bottles
- Individual bags of chips, popcorn, pretzels, trail mix, or nuts
- Peanut butter or cheese crackers
- Fruit snacks (not fresh fruit)
- Small boxes of cereal
- Prepare as many snack packs as you’d like at your school, office, hotel, community center, conference center, etc. – wherever works best for you and your group!
- Use one gallon-sized plastic storage bag per snack pack.
- Each pack should include three to five snacks, all of which should be non-perishable, shelf stable, unopened, and individually packaged.
- Ensure all items are pre-packaged and store-bought. For safety, homemade snacks may not be included.
- Healthy food options are encouraged, but please do not include fresh fruits or vegetables. All items should be non-perishable.
- Label any packs including items containing nuts or other common allergens.
- Making some of the packs nut- or peanut-free is strongly encouraged.
- Clearly label each snack pack with the date that it was assembled, as well as the earliest expiration date of the included snacks.
- Include positive messages or cards in the packs! Be creative, but please ensure messages are not religious and are appropriate for any family member, for example, “Enjoy the snacks!”, “Have a great day!”, or “Keep calm and snack on!”
Delivering Snack Packs
Snack packs can be dropped off at any House seven days a week between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
If you are planning to assemble snack packs, we encourage you to reach out to our volunteer team in advance so they can help answer any questions and coordinate delivery to our Houses. Please contact: