At Our Houses or Yours, There are Lots of Ways to Volunteer
As COVID-19 continues to evolve, so too do our volunteer opportunities and participation requirements. Whether you’re looking to get involved on-site at one of our Houses or remotely from your own home, individually or with a group, there’s an opportunity for everyone.
On-site Volunteerism: Volunteers are key team members at our Houses and Family Rooms, so we are gradually welcoming folks back to our locations to help us better serve families.
- Meals from the Heart – Families rely on us for a daily meal, and volunteers can help by preparing a meal at one of our five Houses. All individuals ages 16+ are welcome to volunteer. You can sign up for meal dates on our website, and check out our Meals from the Heart and Culinary Hearts guidelines documents for more participation requirements.
- Individual Volunteers – Our guest families and staff are thrilled to welcome back current, active volunteers to our Houses, Of course, we have thorough participation guidelines in place to ensure everyone’s health and safety. Active individual volunteers are welcome to contact us with any questions about resuming your involvement at the Houses. Plus, we plan to welcome back Edward Family Room volunteers in the coming weeks – more details coming soon!
- Travel Requirements and Health Screening – Currently all volunteers must adhere to the Chicago Emergency Travel Order in order to participate on-site. Additionally, volunteers must complete a health screening upon arrival at any of our program locations. We appreciate everyone’s diligence in following these parameters, as they ensure the safety of our volunteers, staff and families alike.
At this time, Cookies from the Heart, Family Activity Program, and pet therapy programs are still paused as we remain mindful of the number of people in and out of our locations.
Off-site Opportunities: These options are perfect for individuals or groups looking for ways to give back outside of our Houses and Family Rooms!
- Wish List Drive – Host a virtual wish list drive to provide household supplies needed at our locations. Anyone, anywhere can purchase and donate items from our Amazon wish list and have them shipped directly to one of our Houses.
- Care Kits – Purchase travel-sized items to create helpful toiletry kits – handy packs of essentials like a toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, and more to help families feel refreshed and ready to face the day.
- Meals from the Heart – Supporters can help provide meals for families every day by donating catered restaurant meals or by donating restaurant gift cards.
- Virtual Volunteering – Whether you want to share a meaningful message with families or submit a favorite recipe for the RMHC-CNI Meals from the Heart cookbook, these virtual opportunities are simple ways to show your support for families!
Though our volunteer opportunities continue to change, the commitment of our volunteers remains unwavering. For that, we are incredibly grateful.
To learn more about volunteering, please contact Brittany Wright, director of Volunteer Services.