January Volunteer of the Month – Celine Hovde
Meet our volunteers! Each month, we highlight stand-out volunteers and how they support families. For January, meet Celine Hovde, who has been an essential part of our volunteer team at the Ronald McDonald House near Central DuPage Hospital since it opened.
- How long have you volunteered with RMHC-CNI?
I started at the Ronald McDonald House near Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital in April of 2015, just shortly after that location first opened.
- Where and how do you typically volunteer, and what do you usually do?
I volunteer once a week at the House near CDH. The very first thing I do during each shift is ask the staff what needs to be done. No two days are alike, so I might be tasked with emptying a dishwasher, doing laundry, or preparing a guest room for incoming families. I’m more than happy to help however I’m needed.
- Why did you first start volunteering with RMHC-CNI, and what keeps you coming back?
I first got involved in 2015 after reading an article in the paper about the Ronald McDonald House opening in Winfield. The story shared the need for volunteers at the new location, so I signed up! Now, nearly seven years later, I’m still involved because the families and staff really appreciate what we do as volunteers.
- What is your favorite memory or experience from volunteering?
The best part of volunteering with RMHC-CNI is meeting so many nice people. I’ve even become friends with quite a few of the other volunteers, and we stay in touch to this day.
- What does it mean to you to donate your time to our organization?
It gives me a sense of pride to help the families served by RMHC-CNI. They’re going through so much, and this really is an amazing organization.
- If someone was thinking about becoming a volunteer with RMHC-CNI, what would you tell them about getting involved?
Getting involved with the organization is such a positive experience. There are so many ways volunteers can help out!
Thank you Celine for your dedication to helping families get better together!