Individual Volunteer Opportunities
Join us in helping families get better together.
As a volunteer at a Ronald McDonald House or Ronald McDonald Family Room, you make a direct and immediate impact on children and families in their moment of greatest need.
We need volunteers with a passion for our mission and the flexibility to help with wide-ranging tasks to keep things running smoothly at our Ronald McDonald Houses and Family Rooms.
Whether you’re welcoming families at the front desk, driving supplies between locations, or working behind the scenes to wash laundry so new families can rest in a freshly made bed, you’re helping families focus on what matters most – their sick children.
Learn more about individual volunteer roles, and see which opportunity is the right fit for you!
- Supply Transport Driver (25-70 years)
It takes many supplies to keep our Ronald McDonald Houses and Family Rooms running smoothly, and to meet the needs of the families we serve. Supply Transport Drivers directly impact our mission by driving items between our locations across Chicagoland, ensuring essential supplies are available when and where they are needed the most.
- Team Volunteer (18 years and older)
Team Volunteers are essential to our mission by helping with the day-to-day operations of our Houses and Family Rooms. No two days as a Team Volunteer are alike, and these flexible, passionate individuals handle a variety of tasks to ensure our locations run smoothly for the families we serve.
- Hospitality a la Carte (18 years and older)
For children and families at Lurie Children’s Hospital, spotting the RMHC Hospitality a la Carte coming down the hall means that comfort is only moments away. Volunteers make this possible by taking the cart – a mini Ronald McDonald House on wheels – to several floors of the hospital to bring coffee, snacks, toiletries, and gifts directly to families.
Become a Volunteer
The first step to becoming an individual volunteer is to submit an application to your preferred location. Please note there are a few requirements before you join our volunteer team:
- Complete all onboarding steps – submit an application, attend a virtual orientation session, complete a background check, and shadow a current volunteer to learn the responsibilities of your role.
- All individual volunteers must commit to a minimum of two set, recurring shifts each month for at least one year.
- Show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, for the safety of all guest families, volunteers, and staff members.
If you’ve decided that volunteering is the right fit for you, select your preferred location below to begin the application process.